` `

Oct 27 2008

Julian Bream in Concert, 1977

Published by at 12:35 pm under General,Videos

Rare video of Julian Bream in concert, Sor Rondo in C, Bach 2 Preludes, Walton Two Bagatelles, and encore, Villa Lobos Study no; 11. A little out of synch, due to file compression, but this is very rare video of a great artist at his peak.

Bach Prelude in E Flat.

Bach Prelude in D

William Walton Bagatelle no 2 and no 1. A video blemish near the beginning, but the magic of Julian Bream’s live recitals at the height of his career comes over in his playing…

Encore, Villa Lobos, Study no; 11

9 responses so far

9 Responses to “Julian Bream in Concert, 1977”

1. Ricardo Marçalon 01 Nov 2008 at 4:26 pm

Congratulations!
    These videos are simply superb! It would be brilliant if more videos like these came into light…!
    Can you inform about the whole program of that night?
    Thanks!

2. Mark Antonyon 03 Nov 2008 at 8:03 am

Thanks Ricardo. I do have a few hard to find, archived guitar performances, I’ll see what I can dig up. I can only tell you this Bream video was filmed around 1977, no other information, sorry.

I appreciate your visit :)

3. Serkanon 10 Jan 2009 at 7:00 pm

I am wondering whether Julian ever played and recorded Agustin Barrios pieces. I could not find any of such recordings.
    Serkan

4. Mark Antonyon 12 Jan 2009 at 8:33 am

Hi Serkan, you will probably not find any Bream playing Barrios available commercially. Up until late in his career, Bream did not record any South American works apart from Villa Lobos, who he covered extensively. Later he recorded Leo Brower guitar concerto.

An additional Latin American recording was planned, including Barrios, but as far as I’m aware, it never came to fruition. However, I watched a travel documentary a while ago, and the background was Prelude from “La Catedral”, and the guitarist was without doubt Julian Bream. So for this programme at least, Bream did play Barrios. I always thought La Catedral was Breams style, perhaps other Barrios works less so.

Thanks for your visit, Serkan.

5. Theo Jacobson 04 Apr 2009 at 11:46 am

Wow, what a discovery! I have never seen this before, thanks for this. I have a similar concert from a slightly later date in which he plays Britten’s Nocturnal. It’s funny that after the video distortion in study no.11 it sounds as if he continues in another key! Highlight is the E flat Bach prelude, it’s a pity he didn’t make a studio recording of these 2 preludes.

6. Mark Antonyon 05 Apr 2009 at 2:21 am

Thanks Theo, and welcome to my site :)

7. Serkanon 12 Apr 2009 at 7:05 pm

Thanks Antony. I guessed correctly then since I have lots of Bream recordings and could not find any Barrios. It is really very sad that he did not record any Barrios :( I think it is a very big loss for the classical guitar world. It would be good if someone ask him why. Not only cathedral, but also many other pieces of Barrios are just “Breamistic” pieces in my opinion. Eliot Fisk is not bad on Barrios (especially in his Latin American CD) but I always wanted to hear Bream’s playing of Barrios.

8. Mark Antonyon 13 Apr 2009 at 5:13 am

I love both Barrios, and Breams playing…However, a although Barrios composed in different styles, a number of his works are indigenous, and Bream did tend to interpret Albeniz and Granados, and Villa Lobos in a classical way. Indeed, Villa lobos was angry when he first heard Bream play his Preludes, according to Bream. Later however, Villa Lobos modified his stance a little.

Bream himself has a page on myspace, erhaps worth even asking the man himself if you can, Serkan, about Barrios? That is, if Bream personally monitors the page, which I guess is doubtful.

9. Serkanon 13 Apr 2009 at 7:02 am

Yes, Antony, I made a post in his facebook page, not in myspace. Perhaps, he may reply or someone perhaps asked the same question and got the answer. I will be waiting for the answer. Yes, his interpretations of Albeniz anbd Villa Lobos are unique, like all many others :)

Trackback URI | Comments RSS